Petaluma Wheelmen Ride Classifications
Keep in mind that the miles per hour listed is the average miles per hour that the rider's computer registers at the end of your ride. Note that average does not mean how fast you ride on a flat road, like Bodega Avenue. Even if you find yourself riding 15-20 mph on a flat road, your average speed at the end of your ride can still be only 12 mph.
- (A) EASY (average 8 – 11 mph.) These rides regroup frequently and are an easy conversational pace. (These are often, but not always, shorter rides of 1-2 hours, often oriented to novice riders.)
- (B) MODERATE (average 12 – 14 mph.) "B" rides are typically 2-4 hours covering 30-50 miles. Regroups are usual, but at the discretion of the ride leader. Often a bakery stop in the middle, but not always.
- (C) FAST (average 15+ mph.) These rides are for experienced riders and may require pace line skills. Regrouping is at the discretion of the ride leader and will be less frequent.
- (1) MOSTLY FLAT: Mostly flat roads with possible gentle upgrades. Examples: Stony Point, Petaluma Hill, Old Redwood Hwy.
- (2) ROLLING, easy grades: Climbs are short and not too numerous. Examples: Chileno Valley Rd. passing Helen Putnam Park, Hwy 1 between Marshall and Tomales.
- (3) SOME HILLS: A few steeper hills, moderates sustained grades and/or longer gentle climbs. Examples: Chalk Hill, Spring Hill, Graton Road.
- (4) HILLY: Lots of climbing and descending. Steeper and/or sustained climbs over 9% likely. Examples: Pressley, Sonoma Mountain, Burnside, Marshall "Wall," Franklin School Road.
- (5) MOUNTAINS: Only for those very sure of their ability to climb any grade, any length at the stated pace. Examples: Pine Flat, Geysers, Cavedale, Trinity, King Ridge
Always bring water and energy food.
Know how to change a flat, especially if you're going on a B or a C ride.
Wear your helmet! You are strongly advised to carry ID and emergency contact number(s).
For Ride Leaders:
Here's the template to use when posting Saturday or non-scheduled rides on the list serve.
Ride Description: (e.g. "Tomales via Marshall B/4/50")
Date & Time:
Pace: (e.g. Moderate, 12-14 mph average)
Terrain: (e.g. Hilly -- Wilson Hill, Marshall Wall, Hwy 1 rollers)PP
Rain cancels all rides (unless the ride leader or individuals decide otherwise).
Helmet's Required and strongly advise carrying ID and emergency contact number(s).
Please make sure you're familiar with the Guidelines for Group Rides. Thanks!